Exide Professor of Business & Professor of Marketing Marketing PhD Program Coordinator University of South Florida (Tampa) Email: email@example.com
Ph.D. (2004): University of California, Irvine (Major: Marketing) MBA (1998): Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad BA (1995): Jadavpur University (Major: Economics. Minor: Mathematics) (Honors, 3-year program)
SELECT HONORS, AWARDS, AND GRANTS
Federally Funded Grants
- Principal Investigator for grants totaling $22,049 funded by the USDA (US Department of Agriculture), for research on sensory factors influencing children’s food choices.
- Grant of $11,318 in 2014 - Grant of $10,731 in 2013
- Co-Investigator for grant totaling $181,851 funded by National Science Foundation and EPA (Grant # R826611), for research on beach pollution, 2002.
- Grants totaling $6,340 from Association of Consumer Research for projects on Transformative Consumer Research, related to foods and consumer wellbeing, 2013–2016.
- $4000 Grant from Stellar Partners (airport retail chain), for research on sensory aspects of retailing, 2014-2015.
- $1200 Grant from AMA-CBSIG, for research on sensory aspects of digital marketing, 2020.
Academic Awards - Association for Consumer Research – Sheth Foundation Dissertation Proposal Award (and $2,000 Grant), October 2002.
- Runner-up, Academy of Marketing Science – Mary Kay Dissertation Award, May 2003.
- Society for Marketing Advances Dissertation Proposal Award (and $500 Grant), November 2003.
- Award for Best Paper in CB Track at the AMA Winter Conference, Tampa, February 2009.
- Award for Best Paper in CB Track at the AMA Summer Conference, Boston, August 2010.
- Award for Best Conference Paper at French-Austrian-German Workshop on CB, Vienna, 03/17.
- Award for Best Paper in “Food & Health” Track at the AMA Winter Conference, New Orleans, 02/18.
- Excellence in Scholarship Award from Marketing Management Association, Chicago, April 2018.
- Outstanding Area Editor Award, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2018.
- Outstanding Educator Award, from AMA-Tampa (Award given by Marketing Executives), 2019.
- Award for Best Paper in “Consumer Wellbeing” Track at the AMA Winter Conference, Austin, 02/19.
- Finalist, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science Best Paper Award, 2019.
- Recipient of Academy of Marketing Science Outstanding Teacher Award, 2015.
- Invited keynote speaker for Retailing Conference sponsored by KU Leuven (Belgium), 2021.
- AMA–Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Minneapolis, June 2003.
MAJOR DISCIPLINE-BASED SERVICES
- Guest Associate Editor, Journal of Consumer Research (2018).
- Area Editor, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (since 2017).
- Associate Editor: Journal of Retailing (since 2018).
- Editorial Review Board Member:
Journal of Marketing (since 2017)
Journal of Marketing Research (since 2020)
Journal of Consumer Research (from January 2021)
Journal of Public Policy & Marketing (since 2014)
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on “Sensory Aspects of Retailing” at Journal of Retailing, 2019.
- Conference Co-Chair, Academy of Marketing Science Conference, 2016.
- Vice-President (Programming), for AMA-CBSIG (2016 - 2019).
I focus on managerially/practically relevant behavioral research in the domain of sensory marketing. Most of my research projects have strong implications for health and wellbeing of consumers and of other stakeholders. My key research areas are:
- Sensory Marketing: Food & Health; Consumer Welfare & Wellbeing; Sensory Aspects of Retail Atmospherics; Experiential Marketing; Sensory Aspects of Services Marketing; Implications for Healthcare.
- Digital Marketing: Sensory and Interactive Aspects of Digital Marketing; Sensory Elements of Digital Environments.
My research has directly influenced business practices of several companies across multiple countries (USA, Sweden, France, Germany, Netherlands, India, Norway). Prominent examples include a global hotel chain, a global restaurant chain, an airport retail chain, a champagne brand, and several supermarkets and restaurants, among others.
Several of my published papers have high Altmetric scores (“which examine each article’s record of attention, measure of dissemination, and indicator of influence and impact”: Journal of Consumer Research website).
- My 2017 JMR paper has the highest Altmetric score among all JMR papers.
- My 2019 JMR paper has the second highest Altmetric score among all JMR papers.
- My 2019 JAMS paper has the highest Altmetric score among all JAMS papers.
- My 2019 JCR paper has among the top 15 Altmetric scores among all JCR papers.
JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (SINCE 2010)
Ruzeviciute, Ruta, Bernadette Kamleitner, and Dipayan Biswas (2020), “Designed to S(m)ell: When Scented Advertising Induces Proximity and Enhances Appeal,” Journal of Marketing Research, 57 (2), 315-331.
Biswas, Dipayan and Courtney Szocs (2019), “The Smell of Healthy Choices: Cross-Modal Sensory Compensation Effects of Ambient Scent on Food Purchases,” Journal of Marketing Research, 56 (1), 123-141.
This article has an Altmetric score of 513, which is the second highest Attention Score among all JMR papers: https://sage.altmetric.com/details/53575899
This article was also the most read/downloaded JMR paper in the January – July 2019 period (with 4900+ downloads, as per JMR website).
Received media coverage at 50+ outlets, including Time, Newsweek, Women’s Health, etc.
Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, and Annika Abell (2019), “Extending the Boundaries of Sensory Marketing and Examining the Sixth Sensory System: Effects of Vestibular Sensations for Sitting versus Standing Postures on Food Taste Perception,” Journal of Consumer Research, 46 (4), 708-724.
This article has an Altmetric score of 285, which is the among the top 15 Attention Scores among all JCR papers: https://oxfordjournals.altmetric.com/details/60534872
An earlier version of this research received the award for best paper in the “Consumer Wellbeing” track at the 2019 Winter AMA Conference.
Received media coverage by US News & World Report, Times of India, etc.
Biswas, Dipayan, Kaisa Lund, and Courtney Szocs (2019), “Sounds like a Healthy Retail Atmospheric Strategy: Effects of Ambient Music and Noise on Food Sales,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 47 (1), 37-55.
This article has an Altmetric score of 368, which is the highest Attention Score among all JAMS papers: https://www.altmetric.com/details/40754739
This paper was a Finalist for the JAMS Best Paper Award.
An earlier version of this research received the award for best paper in the “Food & Health” track at the 2018 Winter AMA Conference.
Received coverage at 100+ media outlets, including by NY Times, Washington Post, Fox, etc.
Biswas, Dipayan (2019), “Sensory Aspects of Retailing: Theoretical and Practical Implications,” Journal of Retailing, 95 (4), 123-127. Invited Editorial.
Lefebvre, Sarah and Dipayan Biswas (2019), “Influence of Ambient Scent Temperature on Food Consumption Behavior” Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 25 (4), 753-764.
Girard, Anna, Marcel Lichters, Marko Sarstedt, and Dipayan Biswas (2019), “Short- and Long-term Effects of Nonconsciously Processed Ambient Scents in a Servicescape: Findings from Two Field Experiments” Journal of Service Research, 22 (4), 440-455.
Lee, Na Young, Stephanie M. Noble, and Dipayan Biswas (2018), “Hey Big Spender! A Golden (Color) Atmospheric Effect on Tipping Behavior,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 46 (2), 317-337.
This article has an Altmetric score of 61, which is among the top 10 Attention Scores among allJAMS papers: https://www.altmetric.com/details/13862525
Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, Roger Chacko, and Brian Wansink (2017), “Shining Light on Atmospherics: How Ambient Light Influences Food Choices,” Journal of Marketing Research, 54 (1), 111-123.
This article has an Altmetric score of 539, which is the highest Attention Score among all JMR papers: https://sage.altmetric.com/details/7315996
Received media coverage at 80+ outlets, including Food Network, Men’s Health, etc.
Romero, Marisabel and Dipayan Biswas (2016), “Healthy Left, Unhealthy Right: Can Displaying Healthy Items to the Left (versus Right) of Unhealthy Items Nudge Healthier Choices?” Journal of Consumer Research, 43 (1), 103-112.
This article has an Altmetric score of 30, which is among the top 5% of all research outputs scored by Altmetric: https://oxfordjournals.altmetric.com/details/6192739
Szocs, Courtney, Dipayan Biswas, and Adilson Borges (2016), “Cheers to Haptic Sensations and Alcohol Consumption: How Glassware Weight Impacts Perceived Intoxication and Positive Emotions,” Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 1 (4), 569-578.
Szocs, Courtney and Dipayan Biswas (2016), “Forks Over Spoons: The Impact of Cutlery on Calorie Estimates,” Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 1 (1), 161-174.
Szocs, Courtney and Dipayan Biswas (2016), “Tasting in 2D: Implications of Food Shape, Visual Cues, and Oral Haptic Sensory Inputs,” Marketing Letters, 27 (4), 753-764.
Biswas, Dipayan, Lauren Labrecque, Donald R. Lehmann, and Ereni Markos (2014), “Making Choices While Smelling, Tasting, and Listening: The Role of Sensory (Dis)similarity When Sequentially Sampling Products,” Journal of Marketing, 78 (1), 112-126.
Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, Aradhna Krishna, and Donald R. Lehmann (2014), “Something to Chew on: The Effects of Oral Haptics on Mastication, Orosensory Perception, and Calorie Estimation,” Journal of Consumer Research, 41 (August), 261-273.
This article has an Altmetric score of 92, which is a 98-Percentile Attention Score: https://oxfordjournals.altmetric.com/details/2266816
Received coverage by 100+ media outlets, including by NY Times, CBS, CNN, Fox, Men’s Health, Women’s Health, Redbook, etc.
Biswas, Dipayan and Cornelia Pechmann (2012), “What Do these Clinical Trial Results Mean? How Product Efficacy Judgments are affected by Data Partitioning, Framing, and Quantification,” Organizational Behavior & Human Decision Processes, 117 (March), 341-350.
Biswas, Dipayan, Robin Keller, and Bidisha Burman (2012), “Making Probability Judgments of Future Product Failures: The Role of Mental Unpacking,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 22 (2), 237-248.
Biswas, Dipayan, Guangzhi Zhao, and Donald R. Lehmann (2011), “The Impact of Sequential Data on Consumer Confidence in Relative Judgments,” Journal of Consumer Research, 37 (February), 874-887.
Biswas, Dipayan, Dhruv Grewal, and Anne Roggeveen (2010), “How the Order of Sampled Experiential Products Affects Choice,” Journal of Marketing Research, 47 (3), 508-519.
An earlier version of this research received the award for best paper in the “Consumer Behavior” track at the 2009 Winter AMA Conference.
SELECT INVITED RESEARCH PRESENTATIONS AND SEMINARS (NON-JOB RELATED)
- Auckland University of Technology (New Zealand) (Was scheduled for August 2020 – now postponed)
- Bayreuth University Food Conference (Germany) (Keynote Speaker)
- Bayreuth University Marketing department (Germany)
- KU-Leuven (Belgium) (Was scheduled for Spring 2020 – postponed to 2021)
- Linnaeus University (Sweden)
- LMU-Munich (Germany)
- Louisiana State University
- Magdeburg University (Germany)
- Neoma Business School (France)
- New York University (Practitioner/Academic Multi-Channel Retailing Conference)
- Nokia (Finland)
- RWT-Aachen (Germany)
- Tampere University (Finland)
- University of Amsterdam (Netherlands)
- UIT (Norway)
- University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) (Was scheduled for Spring 2020 – now postponed)
- University of Lorraine (France)
- University of Manitoba (Canada)
- University of Massachusetts (Amherst)
- University of Wisconsin (Milwaukee) (Was scheduled for Spring 2020 – now postponed)
- Vienna University of Economics & Business (Austria)
- Vrije Universiteit (Netherlands) (Was scheduled for Summer 2020 – now postponed)
- Yale University (Customer Insights Conference)
MEDIA COVERAGE My research and my interviews have been featured extensively in the media, by over 200 media outlets, including ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, NBC, New York Times, Today Show, Washington Post, US News & World Report, Time magazine, BBC, Fitness magazine, Health magazine, Women's Health magazine, Men's Health magazine, Allure magazine, Redbook magazine, Huffington Post, Prevention magazine, Times of India, WebMD, Daily Mail (UK), CNN-IBN Live (India), Good Housekeeping magazine, Scientific American magazine, Tampa Bay Times, Zee News (India), NPR, Shape magazine, Glamour magazine, Financial Times, Der Spiegel (German magazine), La Dernière Heure (French-language newspaper in Belgium), Goed Gevoel (Dutch-language magazine in Belgium), Saldo (Swiss magazine), and Bulgaria DNES (Bulgarian newspaper), among others.
INDUSTRY RESEARCH COLLABORATION AND/OR CONSULTING I have collaborated on research projects with several companies/organizations across multiple countries (USA, France, Sweden, Germany, India, Netherlands, Norway).
BOOK CHAPTERS Biswas, Dipayan (2016), “Sensory Aspects of Branding,” in the Routledge Companion to Contemporary Brand Management, Eds. Francesca Dall’Olmo Riley, Jaywant Singh, and Charles Blankson. New York: Routledge. 218-227.
Biswas, Dipayan and Courtney Szocs (2014), “Sensory Marketing,” in Wiley Encyclopedia of Management. 3rd Edition. Chichester, UK. Wiley.
Szocs, Courtney and Dipayan Biswas (2014), “Aesthetics,” in Wiley Encyclopedia of Management. 3rd Edition. Chichester, UK. Wiley.
TEACHING I have experience teaching a wide variety of courses (at Ph.D., Executive, MBA/MS, and undergraduate levels) at various schools. I am the recipient of the 2015 Academy of Marketing Science Outstanding Teaching Award. I have taught seminars/courses at several universities across multiple countries (USA, Germany, Austria, Sweden, India, France, Netherlands, Norway, Finland, Peru).
Sensory Marketing (Ph.D. seminar)
Sensory Marketing (Executive seminar)
Sensory Marketing (MBA/MS course)
Sensory Marketing (Undergraduate course)
Brand Management (MBA/MS course)
Brand Management (Undergraduate course)
Digital Marketing (MBA/MS course)
Digital Marketing (Undergraduate course)
Basic Marketing (Undergraduate course)
International Marketing (Undergraduate course)
Marketing Management (MBA/MS course)
Marketing Research (Undergraduate course)
Marketing of Luxury & Fashion Products/Brands (Undergraduate course)
Research Writing (Executive seminar)
TEACHING INTERESTS Sensory Marketing; Customer Experience Management; Brand Management; Consumer Behavior; Global Marketing; Digital Marketing; Principles of Marketing; Marketing Research.
PhD STUDENT SUPERVISION AND JUNIOR SCHOLAR MENTORING
Almost all of my recent and current research projects are in collaboration with junior scholars (i.e., PhD students and Assistant Professors).
I have been dissertation chair/co-chair of three PhD students. All three of them have done well in terms of publications, receiving external grants, receiving dissertation proposal awards, and getting jobs at PhD-granting, research-oriented universities. They accomplished these achievements through their hard work, motivation, and dedication; my role was merely that of a catalyst.
Courtney Szocs (Dissertation Chair): Assistant Professor at Louisiana State University (R1 university with marketing PhD program). At time of graduation, she had publication in JCR, and received grants funded by ACR-TCR and USDA. Also, received dissertation proposal awards from AMS and SMA.
Annika Abell (Dissertation Chair): Assistant Professor at University of Tennessee, Knoxville (R1 university with marketing PhD program). At the time of graduation, she had a paper accepted at JCR and had received two grants funded by ACR-TCR.
Ruta Ruzeviciute (Dissertation Co-Chair): Will be Assistant Professor at University of Tennessee, Knoxville (R1 university with marketing PhD program) from Fall 2020. At the time of graduation, she had R&R at JMR and received grants funded by the Austrian government. Also, received the AMS dissertation proposal award.