DIPAYAN (DIP) BISWAS
Professor of Marketing, University of South Florida.
Ph.D., University of California, Irvine
MBA, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
SELECT HONORS, AWARDS, AND GRANTS
Federally Funded Grants
- Principal Investigator for grants totaling $22,049 funded by the USDA (US Department of Agriculture), for research on sensory factors influencing children’s food choices.
- Grant of $11,318 in 2014
- Grant of $10,731 in 2013
- Co-Investigator, Environmental Protection Agency - National Science Foundation Research Grant (# R826611) for $181,851 (for research project on beach pollution).
Other Awards and Grants
- Association for Consumer Research – Sheth Foundation Dissertation Proposal Award (and $2,000 Grant), October 2002.
- Runner-up, Academy of Marketing Science – Mary Kay Dissertation Award, May 2003.
- Society for Marketing Advances Dissertation Proposal Award (and $500 Grant), November 2003.
- Award for Best Paper in CB Track at the American Marketing Association Winter Conference, February 2009.
- Award for Best Paper in CB Track at the American Marketing Association Summer Conference, August 2010.
- Grants totaling $2,340 from Association of Consumer Research for projects on Transformative Consumer Research, related to food shape, ambient scent, and consumption, 2013–2015.
- Recipient of Academy of Marketing Science Outstanding Teacher Award, 2015.
Prominent Discipline-based Services
- Area Editor, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (since 2017).
- Associate Editor, Journal of Business Research (since 2016).
- Member of Editorial Review Board, Journal of Marketing (since 2017).
- Editor, Journal of Consumer Marketing (2014-2016).
- Associate Editor, European Journal of Marketing, (2010 – 2014).
- Co-Chair, Academy of Marketing Science Conference, Orlando, May 2016.
My interviews and my research have been featured extensively in the media, by over 100 media outlets, including the New York Times, ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, NBC, Fitness magazine, US News & World Report, Women's Health magazine, Men's Health magazine, Allure magazine, Health Magazine, Redbook magazine, Huffington Post, Prevention magazine, Fast Company, Times of India, WebMD, BBC, Daily Mail (UK), CNN-IBN Live (India), Good Housekeeping magazine, Scientific American magazine, Tampa Bay Times, Zee News (India), NPR, Shape magazine, Glamour magazine, Financial Times, Der Spiegel (German magazine), La Dernière Heure (French-language newspaper in Belgium), Goed Gevoel (Dutch-language magazine in Belgium), Saldo (Swiss magazine), and Bulgaria DNES (Bulgarian newspaper), among others.
RECENT JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (SINCE 2010)
- Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, Roger Chacko, and Brian Wansink (2017), “Shining Light on Atmospherics: How Ambient Light Influences Food Choices,” Journal of Marketing Research, February, 111-123.
- Lee, Na Young, Stephanie M. Noble, and Dipayan Biswas (2017), “Hey Big Spender! A Golden (Color) Atmospheric Effect on Tipping Behavior,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, forthcoming.
- Romero, Marisabel and Dipayan Biswas* (2016), “Healthy Left, Unhealthy Right: Can Displaying Healthy Items to the Left (versus Right) of Unhealthy Items Nudge Healthier Choices?” Journal of Consumer Research, 43 (1), 103-112.
*(Both authors contributed equally)
- Szocs, Courtney and Dipayan Biswas (2016), “Forks Over Spoons: The Impact of Cutlery on Calorie Estimates,” Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, January issue, 1 (1), 161-174.
- Szocs, Courtney, Dipayan Biswas, and Adilson Borges (2016), “Cheers to Haptic Sensations and Alcohol Consumption: How Glassware Weight Impacts Perceived Intoxication and Positive Emotions,” Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 1 (4), 569-578.
- Szocs, Courtney and Dipayan Biswas (2016), “Tasting in 2D: Implications of Food Shape, Visual Cues, and Oral Haptic Sensory Inputs,” Marketing Letters, 27 (4), 753-764.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, Aradhna Krishna, and Donald R. Lehmann (2014), “Something to Chew on: The Effects of Oral Haptics on Mastication, Orosensory Perception, and Calorie Estimation,” Journal of Consumer Research, 41 (August), 261-273.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Lauren Labrecque, Donald R. Lehmann, and Ereni Markos (2014), “Making Choices While Smelling, Tasting, and Listening: The Role of Sensory (Dis)similarity When Sequentially Sampling Products,” Journal of Marketing, 78 (1), 112-126.
- Biswas, Dipayan and Cornelia Pechmann (2012), “What Do these Clinical Trial Results Mean? How Product Efficacy Judgments are affected by Data Partitioning, Framing, and Quantification,” Organizational Behavior & Human Decision Processes, 117 (March), 341-350.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Robin Keller, and Bidisha Burman (2012), “Making Probability Judgments of Future Product Failures: The Role of Mental Unpacking,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 22 (2), 237-248.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Guangzhi Zhao, and Donald R. Lehmann (2011), “The Impact of Sequential Data on Consumer Confidence in Relative Judgments,” Journal of Consumer Research, 37 (February), 874-887.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Dhruv Grewal, and Anne Roggeveen (2010), “How the Order of Sampled Experiential Products Affects Choice,” Journal of Marketing Research, 47 (3), 508-519.
SELECT INVITED PRESENTATIONS
On Topics related to Sensory Marketing: Cornell University; Yale University; Vienna University of Economics and Business (Austria); University of Bayreuth (Germany); RWTH-Aachen (Germany); UiT (Norway); Linnaeus University (Sweden); University of Lorraine (France); Reims Management School (France); IDRAC (France); DLG Food Testing Agency (Germany); IBM Center for Social Software (Cambridge, MA); Nokia (Finland) (2010).
On Multi-Channel Retailing: New York University.
I have collaborated on research projects with several companies across multiple countries (USA, France, Sweden, Germany, Norway, India, and Finland). Prominent among these include a major global restaurant chain (headquartered in the USA), a major airport retail chain (including a duty-free store) based in the USA, hotel chains (headquartered in the USA and in Europe), a major theme park based in Florida, major retail chains (headquartered in the USA and in Europe), an airport (in Europe), a global champagne brand (in France), a major coffee shop in Europe, a resort based in Europe, the food/cafeteria division of one of the largest school districts in the US, and hospitals (based in the USA and Asia), among others.